Thursday, January 27, 2011

Heart Stuff

I havent really posted much about Parker's upcoming heart surgery but it will be here before I know it. We are "penciled in" for a day in mid March. I have been trying to think of things I can do to prepare Parker for having surgery and for being in the hospital for a few weeks. I found this book on "Kids with Heart" website. It is called Matty's Heart and is about a little boy who was born with a heart defect and it goes through his journey in and out of the hospital. We started reading it to Parker this week.


We are starting with a few pages at a time and skipping the parts that dont really apply to him. There is also a page on the ACH website that has a video for kids to tour the hospital and see where they are going to go and have surgery, you can watch the video Here. I also printed off the coloring book version of the video for Parker.
Scout is ACH's mascot and I thought that if he learned who Scout is, he would be excited to see him all over the hospital! I think any little thing will help and certainly wont hurt.


Yesterday we scheduled Parker's Heart Cath. This is a procedure to look at Parker's heart and make sure he is ready for his heart surgery. The doctor can aslo do any little tweeks to his heart that need to be done for surgery. His Cath will be Feb 25th. Scheduling this means his surgery is that much closer, ahhh!! We will also go in for his echo on Feb 16th to look at the heart function before his cath. Please pray for Parker, he is such a strong little guy but this is alot for a 3 year old to comprehend. Thank you for all of your prayers and support!

3 comments:

The Simmons Family said...

I understand..we am in the same predicament. How do we prepare them? Owen says he's having surgery and that he will have an ouch on his chest and knows to ask for medicine when it hurts. I tried to tell him about the good things..like eating whatever he wants on the menu..watching movies in bed all day with cuddles from mommy..sleepovers in bed with me..lots of attention from nurses..beyond that...it's hard to comprehend. I'll check out that book for sure.

We'll keep Parker in our prayers. He's a tough boy!

Katie said...

Great ideas...thanks for sharing. As you know, we're in the same boat as you right now. The Fontan in closer than further way for us. Here, I've wanted to reach this milestone and now that it's near, I'm very scared and nervous. Glad to know that we're not alone in this, isn't it!?! Heart hugs to you and I think I'll "copy" some of these ideas to help getting Maddie prepared for her stay as well. Hang in there :)

Jenny said...

Hi Kali! I just came across your blog from Owen's. You're little boy is so adorable!! My daughter will also be having her Fontan in March so I know how you are feeling. Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers!!