Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Posted by Kali at 8:50 AM
Sunday, February 8, 2009
This week is CHD (Congenital Heart Defect) awareness week. Before Parker was born I knew what a CHD was (only because of my nursing background), but I never really "knew" about it. I just wanted to give some facts to those of you who dont really "know" about CHDs..
1. CHDs are the #1 birth defect and #1 cause of infant death related birth defects. 1 out of every 100-150 babies born will have a CHD.
2. 1 in 10 of those born with a CHD will have a fatal defect.
3. In the US there are nearly twice as many deaths due to CHD than that of all forms of childhood cancers combined. Yet there is 5 times more research for pediatric cancer than for CHD
4. There is no known cause for CHD, but genetics and environmental factors may play a role.
5. There is no cure for CHD, but advances in medicine has significantly decreased the mortalilty rate.
6. Only 5% of adults who can give blood do. Someone needs blood every three second in the US; it is often one of the many heart children.
7. Only 30% of the children who need a heart transplant receive on in time.
These are just a few facts about CHD. Please spread the word and raise awareness. If you can....donate blood (Parker has used many units of blood throughout his short life) and register to be an organ donor (Parker's life may depend on one of these selfless people one day).
Parker was born with one of the most severe CHDs. Fortunatly he is doing wonderful. I am so thankful that he doesnt need a heart transplant yet. Maybe he will never need one, but I have many friends (sweet, sweet babies) who are on the heart transplant list and they NEED a new heart to live. Please pray for them. Just remember and pray for all the precious children this week who are living with a CHD.
Go here for more info.
Posted by Kali at 4:24 PM
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
This past weekend it was so beautiful outside!! It was 70 degrees outside and sunny! So, we took Parker and Bentley (our wonderful dog) for a walk in Parker's wagon that he got from Santa. Parker had so much fun, he couldnt stop smiling and giggling. Bentley just loved being pulled around and not having to walk!
On Monday I took my camera to Parker's therapy. She says that Parker can take 6 steps by himself. Well, being the stinker that he is, he wouldnt do it for me the day I take my camera. I did manage to get a picture of him standing by himself. I will try again Wednesday.
Posted by Kali at 2:51 PM